Racing at SYC
For 2016 Excitement, competition, speed, power, strategy, tactics, precision boat handling. That is sailboat racing. And that is racing at the Sausalito Yacht Club. The SYC offers this off the scenic Marin Headlands adjacent to the iconic Golden Gate Bridge.
The races are run professionally with an on-the-water race committee that is second to none. The club atmosphere provides a great location for after race bragging or complaining. The bar and galley are open after all the races.
- 2015/2016 Midwinter Series continues into March 2016
- Jaws Predicted Log and Pursuit Race: Start and finish off the club deck. A pursuit race for sailors; a predicted log race for powered boats.. SYC members compete for the “Jaws” trophy. Sign up, get competitive, improve your skills and have fun on the water and back at the club. You’ll love our welcoming atmosphere at the SYC club house. We look forward to seeing you out on the water and at the club. March 26th.
- Twin Island Series: Three races around Alcatraz and Angel Island or Red Rock and Angel Island on April 23rd, July 16th and October 15th. You choose your direction around the islands with a club deck finish and followed by festivities at the club.
- Tuesday Night Sunset Series: Ten Spring and Summer races on alternate Tuesday nights to set aside work pressures for mid-week competition capped off with the bar and a cookout. The Spring Series starts April 26th and the Summer Series starts July 26th. The Champion of Champions race is on September 24th.
- SYC Auxiliary Women Skipper Race: Women drive, but you can have any mix of crew you like; this event had a triumphant return in 2014, with a single-race Bay Tour format, August 27th.
- SYC Wooden Boat Invitational Series: Four dates for Birds to Knarrs as well as the other WBRA members to come out and play; April 16, June 4, August 20, and September 10.
- Master Mariners Annual Regatta: The Sausalito Yacht Club continues it’s long tradition of supporting this spectacular event May 28th (Memorial Day Weekend) supplying Mercury and the Race Committee to officiate. Approximately 70 wooden vessels of traditional design and construction from 19 to 122ft will participate – most built before 1950. This years race will begin at the City Front near the St Francis Yacht Club around 1200 and finish off the east end of Treasure Island around 1500
- PICYA Lipton Cup: An Invitational event for member clubs able to enter their challenger in each of 4 divisions; J105, Express 27, SF 30 class, and Cal 20s on July 9th.
- Rear Commodore’s Race to Vallejo: A 20 mile race / cruise to Vallejo Yacht Club on June 25th. This is usually a great downwind race with an excellent party and dinner afterward.
- 2016/2017 Midwinter Series: Five races on the first Sunday of the month from November through March.
Many of our races are filmed by our club videographers, you can find video on our YouTube channel SYC Racing
Also, check out still photographs by SYC Guest Member Roxanne at https://roxshots.smugmug.com/Sail-Boat-Racing/SYC-Racing