High School Sailing
Sausalito Yacht Club is proud to host the Tamalpais High School sailing team. The team practices Tuesday through Friday and attends both local and regional events throughout the entire school year. The team is always looking for new sailors whether you have experience or not. We strongly encourage those without any sailing experience to enroll in our Summer Sailing Classes so you can learn the basics before the season starts. For information about our Summer Programs click HERE.
For more information, race schedule and race results for the Tamalpais High School Sailing Team please read information below and visit the team website.
Code of Conduct Code of Conduct Agreement
Tam High Club Waiver TamSailingWaiver.2014
SYC Medical and Release Waiver https://sausalitoyachtclub.org/youth-sailing/forms/
Team Calendar Team Calendar 2015-2016
On Campus Team Meeting is September 1 at lunch break.
Mandatory Parent Meeting at Sausalito Yacht Club @ 5:30pm
High School Sailing Outline – Designed to get kids involved in the sport
– Treated just like any other sport and sports team
– No experience necessary, just need a willingness to learn new things
– This is not the sport you join because you can’t play other sports
– Different from other sports, all day events not two hour games
– Year round sport
Varsity vs. Junior Varsity – Varsity team is for returning sailors
– JV team is for new sailors with little to no experience
– If you have previous experience you can be moved up to Varsity within the first couple weeks of practices
– Spring season all sailors are on Varsity
How High School Sailing Works – A team may have as many sailors on their team as they want
– Two sailors sail in a boat at a time
– When traveling to events…
*Nor Cal Regattas- local events
A team can send as many boats/teams as they can, two sailors in a boat all day for each race. Can rotate sailors if desired.
Gold Fleet team and a Silver Fleet team
2 sailors sail for their team in each fleet for 2 races then they come to shore and rotate two other team mates in for two races.
– Varsity practices Tuesday, and Thursday; after school until 6:00.
– JV practices Wednesdays and Fridays; after school until 5:45.
Regattas a.k.a Game Day!
– See Calendar
– 6 Nor Cal events, local & 3 Nor Cal Divisional Regattas
– 5 PCISA events, travel in Monterey Bay, Newport Beach, Long Beach, San Francisco, Santa Barbara
– 1 single handed qualifyer in Long Beach
– 1 Nor Cal Championships in San Francisco
– 1 Silver Championships in San Francisco
– 1 Gold Championships Long Beach
– PCISA Championships (have to qualify)
Suggested Items – As in most sports being a sailor requires proper gear to perform.
– All sailors must have a Coast Guard Approved Life Jacket, close toed shoes that can get wet, clothes to sail in for warm weather and cold weather. Avoid Cotton!
– Girls tend to wear running tights (fleece lined when cold) or wetsuit pants, dry shirt or rash guard tops and a spray jacket. Other spray gear is helpful when cold. Gloves also help and a wool beanie.
– Boys tend to wear board shorts with spray pants, dry shirts, and spray tops.
To be a participant on the team
-$850 for Varsity members
This includes: practice 2 days a week, use of boats, boat parts and maintenance, fuel for coach boats, boat transportation to regattas/towing mileage reimbursement, coaching at regattas, club’s travel expenses, high level of sailing instruction
– $575 for Junior Varsity members
This includes: practice 2 times per week (except for a few Fridays), use of boats, boat parts and maintenance, fuel for coach boats, club’s travel expenses, coaching at regattas, high level of sailing instruction.
* Make checks out to ‘Sausalito Yacht Club’
Coaches Contact Information:
Youth Sailing Director
(I will give out my cell number to students once they officially join)
Yacht Club Website sausalitoyachtclub.org